Health Insurance in Europe

European Health Card: TSE

The European Health Card covers the holder of healthcare that becomes medically necessary during a temporary stay (holidays, business trips, etc.) in another EU member state, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland.

What is the EHIC?
The European Health Card is used during a temporary stay in a Member State other than the insuring Member State, regardless of the reason for the stay (business or not) or the condition of the card holder (employed, retired, unemployed, student, etc. . . ).

The card has the same appearance and technical characteristics in all card-issuing member countries so that it can be recognized immediately.

The TSE is personal, constituted in the name of the bearer and free of charge. Each member of a traveling family must have their own card, including children under 16 years of age. Cards issued by France are valid for two years (the length of validity of the card varies depending on the issuing country).

If the card cannot be issued prior to your departure (late application submission), a temporary replacement certificate will be issued. It is valid for three months.

What is the TSE for?
The TSE guarantees direct access to the public health system of the country you are visiting, without the need to previously request it from the local health authority. When you show your TSE, you will receive the same health services as if you were insured in the country you are visiting.

With the TSE, you will receive health benefits in kind in accordance with the legislation of the country you are visiting. The card entitles you to necessary medical care, which means you will not have to return to your country of habitual residence early to receive necessary treatment.

The TSE also covers chronic or pre-existing conditions, as well as pregnancy and childbirth, if the purpose of the trip to another country is not to receive care.

In fact, the TSE is not valid if you are traveling for the purpose of receiving medical care. This will be what is generally known as “scheduled” care. It is not a substitute for private travel insurance (rescue, repatriation).

If you have not requested a reimbursement of your medical expenses during your trip abroad, you can send your bills and proof of payment to your local health fund once you return to France.

Of course, always show your EHIC or Temporary Replacement Certificate to any health care provider you visit while traveling abroad.

You can use the Ameli mobile app to apply for a European Health Insurance Card and see a photo of your card as soon as it is issued.

Who is eligible?
These provisions apply if you are a citizen:

of a member state of the European Union
Or Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland
or to another country (in which case these provisions do not apply to residence in Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland).
Where can I apply for a European health insurance card?
You must apply for a TSE from your local health insurance fund.

Please note that Cleiss does not issue EHICs.

Is the TSE valid all over the world?
No, the EHIC can only be used in countries that apply European regulations: these are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy , Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Portugal and the United Kingdom.

Leave a Comment